Re: Multiple [named] textbox items in shape definition

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:09 , Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu> sent:

On 23 Aug 2003, Christopher Bahns wrote:

Hello All,
I have read a number of postings on similar requests (see References),
and have looked at the latest code, but so far have not found any
definitive statements, or even recent discussions about it. I also
looked over the TWiki and saw nothing about this.

1. I want to be able to define, for a custom shape, multiple text
fields ("edit boxes"). The existing "textbox" is okay, but I'd like to
have an arbitrary number of them. I have tried this with v0.91 and it
only recognizes the last one in the shape file.

This is not a simple change with the current setup.  Text editing is rather
hackish, and in particular it only really allows one editable text field
per object (as you can see in e.g. the UML shapes, the programmed objects
that should have more also only have one).  It cuts fairly deep into how
text editing works, and while we could make some kludge to get around it, a
number of problems remain (menu shortcuts most of all).  Once 0.92 is out,
the next version will feature a totally different text edit system with a
separate text edit mode that would allow for multiple editable fields in an
object among other things.  I hope you can wait that long.  I'm looking at
the last patches to go into 0.92 right now, and expect to send out a pre1
maybe later this week, maybe next week.

-Lars

Thanks Lars.
Do you mean to say that the next version *after* 0.92 will have it, or that 0.92
is this "next version" that will have it? That is, will the 0.92-pre1 coming in
the next couple weeks include the ability to have multiple edit boxes per shape?
I'd like to see the new shape DTD, example shape XML files, and/or the new
"custom-shapes" document, if it's not too much trouble. I think we can wait a
little while for the functionality, but we would like to know as soon as possible
how closely it will meet our needs.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but are there open-source or inexpensive
alternatives to Dia that I should consider? I have looked at Xfig, Sketch, and
Scribus, and none of them seem to support object "connections". I am doing ladder
logic work, and inter-object connections are required to be able to process the
diagram and build the equations. I don't mind spending some money, but we need to
get away from Visio and Microsoft's closed and bulky file format. My platform is
Win2k.

Thanks,
Chris

---- Msg sent via Screaming Internet - WebMail System - http://www.screaminet.com