Re: Re: How many use the diagram tree?

From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
Date: 2003/08/11 Mon AM 11:35:33 EDT

On 10 Aug 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
<rant> One thing I've never understood is Visio's facination with
handles.  Why?  Any 14-year-old knows a line consists of an infinite set
of points.  What's the purpose of picking out some few as more
significant than the rest?  Why isn't every point on the line a handle?
Draw a line, drag it to another line.  Of course they connect.  What in
world else would anyone want?  But, no, isn't it much more fun, more like
a video game, to play "Hit the Handle" and see it go from red to green or
whatever?  Why do real work when you could be improving your eye-hand
coördination?  </rant>

Nice rant:)  I've toyed with the nothing of altering the handle system to
at least allow a 'drop line into object' style.  It would indeed be nice if
you could attach anywhere.  The only reason I see for the handles is to
have a way to attach 'prettily', i.e. exactly in the middle or exactly at
the corner.  What's ERwin do there?

It's not possible to detach the relationship lines from their entity boxes once the relationship is created.
Relationships are created by depressing the appropriate tool, then clicking on the parent entity, then the
child entity in sequence.  Once the relationship line is created, drag is allowed anywhere on the line (there
are no handles on the line), but the line always remains attached to its respective entity(s) until it's
deleted, or the parent/child entity is deleted.

I find it alternately useful/annoying depending on what I'm trying to do.

Andy