Re: Objects categories

On 7 Aug 2003, David Nedrow wrote:
What is the goal for the default sheets provided with Dia? Is it to
provide a limited number of very loose categories, or a larger set of
finer grained categories?

The current incarnatino (including CVS and release) has an unusual mix
of both. For example, there is a very specific GRAFCET category which
includes stuff related specifically to GRAFCET. On the other hand,
there's "network" which includes not only network items (generic
router and switch symbols), as well as a number of what I would
consider "Computing" and "Telephony" devices (eg. 3.5 in diskette and
mobile phone, resp.)

WOuldn't it be better to come up with slightly more cohesive
categorization for the sheets? I know there will obviously be some
overlap, but I think the sheets could be more intuitive for users.

Yes, it would.  In fact, what we need is to have a nested categorization
approach, but that's hard to implement.  Right now we mostly put them
together by how we get them.

What are people's thoughts on this? I'd be willing to come up with a
proposed arrangement for the current objects and some recommended
additions for objects we've created inhouse.

That'd probably be of use; Alan?

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor