Re: Windows Dia version under WinXP

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Hans Breuer wrote:

Hi

Your program is very good and useful. But the console window
permanently shows errors,

As far as I know there is not yet an option to disable this information.
There probably should be but that might have to wait until Dia 1.0 because
technially all the current releases of Dia are unsupported Beta software
and we need feedback on any bugs that you might find.  Without the command
line error messages it is a lot harder to figure out what is happening
when things go wrong.

blah (is this a feature suggestion ?)

maybe but it is not very important because ...

and program work rather slowly.

blah (feel free to not use it!)

... I use the Linux version and it is not a problem and

I still use Dia 0.90 quite a lot because it is more responsive.

and the console window can be minimised and ignored.
it is less than ideal that's all.

blah, blah [Alan if you don't know what you are talking about
why talk at all ?]

You are saying GTK2.2 isn't any better than 2.0?

I dont know why you are always so miserable?  You only ever seem to have
unpleasant things to say to me.  In response to your question I give you
the the cliche: "If you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything
at all".

I am trying to be helpful, I dont know Dia or GTK as well as you do but I
am trying.

One of the main performance issue is Dia's interaction
with Pango (trying to be smart when scaling to match text width)

Another one is eyecandy which we all want, don't we ? Anyway, even
if we don't want it, there is no way back other than sticking with the
old version ...

The only thing that really bothers me is that the Sheets selection menu
flicks up and dissappears quickly before you have a chance to click on it
and choose an item (although eventually it will pop and stay there).

The other differnces in drawing are noticable but not bothersome.

Vlad : Try to set the environtment variable

PANGO_WIN32_NO_UNISCRIBE=1

which should increase Pango - i.e. font rendering - speed a lot,
if you are using the prebuilt DLLs from tml.

Thanks for that.

Regards,
      Hans

Alan Horkan