Re: Ideas for better text entry

On 1 Aug 2003, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:
Current text entry is really bad.

101% right. So is the new proposal on how to fix it.

to subclass GtkTextView to fix that.  More importantly, I need a better
system for when to stop editing -- currently it just looks for
focus-out, which is not the right thing.

IMHO, the text should be accepted on:

- ENTER key (Shift-ENTER for newline ?)

For single-line entries, yes.  Multi-line entries (of which there are but a
few currently) should probably have Enter do a newline, and so only exit
edit by clicking somewhere else.

- changing focus (by TAB or mouse etc) and maybe switching application
too

Don't think I want switching application to end edit.  If moving back and
forth between Dia and some other window to read off text, you'd want to
keep the focus.

- clicking anywhere outside of the text view

Absolutely.

ESC could undo editing.

An entire editing 'session' would become part of the undo stack.  Undo
within the TextView should be done in whatever manner Gtk usually does.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor