Re: PropDescription

From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
Date: 2003/04/18 Fri PM 03:18:18 EDT
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: PropDescription

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Philippe Faes wrote:
Hi all,

I've notices how usefull the PropDescription mechanism is. I always think
of it as "scripting in C" (hope nobody gets offended here!).  Most
objects seem to use that mechanism, with one big exception: UML-class.
The problem is that uml-classes have a lists of things (attributes,
operations,...) and these lists aren't supported by PropDescriptions. I'm
thinking of doing a module to show digital components. These components
will have to contain lists of ports. (see attached dia file) It would be
A LOT easier if PropDescriptions would supports lists. It would make my
design (and any similar future designs) easier.

Would it be considered usefull by you if such a PropDescription feature
existed? If reactions are positive I'll consider trying to make that work
(in a few months)...

It would be considered extremely useful indeed.  The UML class has been
sticking out like a sore thumb for quite a while now, and as you say, only
the missing prop for lists is holding it back.  I'm thinking something akin
to the frame prop, i.e. the user defines a set of properties that allow
editing a la the UML thing, and then a function that converts between those
and strings (at first only from props to strings, but it'd be great to
eventually be able to type in a string and have it parsed).  I'd base it
off the list prop, which currently isn't much different from enum.

If you can help out with this, we'll all love you.

Coincidentally, this is quite similar to what I need for the IDEF1X object (see attached Dia file).  I'm too
terrified of the StdProp internals to attempt this myself, but I would like to help out if I can, especially
because I'm to the point where I'm ready to use it now.

Andy