Re: PropDescription

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Philippe Faes wrote:
Hi all,

I've notices how usefull the PropDescription mechanism is. I always think
of it as "scripting in C" (hope nobody gets offended here!).  Most
objects seem to use that mechanism, with one big exception: UML-class.
The problem is that uml-classes have a lists of things (attributes,
operations,...) and these lists aren't supported by PropDescriptions. I'm
thinking of doing a module to show digital components. These components
will have to contain lists of ports. (see attached dia file) It would be
A LOT easier if PropDescriptions would supports lists. It would make my
design (and any similar future designs) easier.

Would it be considered usefull by you if such a PropDescription feature
existed? If reactions are positive I'll consider trying to make that work
(in a few months)...

It would be considered extremely useful indeed.  The UML class has been
sticking out like a sore thumb for quite a while now, and as you say, only
the missing prop for lists is holding it back.  I'm thinking something akin
to the frame prop, i.e. the user defines a set of properties that allow
editing a la the UML thing, and then a function that converts between those
and strings (at first only from props to strings, but it'd be great to
eventually be able to type in a string and have it parsed).  I'd base it
off the list prop, which currently isn't much different from enum.

If you can help out with this, we'll all love you.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor