Re: Fwd: Re: PROP_TYPE_LIST declaration [lrclause cs uiuc edu]

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
Le Fri, Apr 11, 2003, Ã 12:35:44PM -0500, Lars Clausen a Ãcrit:

You're thinking about the PropDescription array.  Remember, there are
two arrays to fill out (Cyrille, why is that?  Could they be combined?):

I think James is the right person to ask the question to, though I've put
my hands there a lot too. The fundamental reason (IIRC) is that you have
on one hand the property description, which give you the presentation
side (flags, localised names, etc.) and on the other the specific offsets
which applies to a specific type.  Consider what happens when you edit
the properties of a group: the system first tries to find the
intersection of all property descriptor sets; then for each of the
remaining propdesc and for each object (of various types), it will locate
the correct offset.

I could see a problem there.

I think I have considered at a point combining them, but while I was deep
in the StdProp code, I think I found out the hard way it was not a good
idea, so I backtracked. Sadly, I don't remember the detailed "why" :-)

I had that feeling.  It's not something that we should tear up the carpet
over right now, that's for sure.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor