Re: XMI (and Kivio and GPL and Java)

Interoperability is an important part of being 'as good as possible'.
 It's
not like we don't want import/export for Visio files just because
Microsoft
makes money off Visio.
Yes, because we want to get Microsofts customers.

Having more import/export options improves
our
program, not theirs.  The real question is whether anybody cares
enough
about the Kivio files to make import/export plugins.  I certainly
don't.
And very few other people do either.

[...]
I have looking into the pdf2html lib if you want to have a pdf
import,
and have figured out most of the drawing code.

That sounds interesting!  Exporting PDF would be wonderful, since
neither
Macs nor PCs understand PS by default.  Do you think you're learning
enough
PDF to be able to do that?
Not yet, just reading them.

How are you considering importing PDF?  As something similar to
images, or
decomposed into native Dia lines, text etc?
Yes, I have been working on the XML extraction of data from PDF to
extract source code from the ECMA specs for the C# lang from microsoft.
The XPDF tool builds an C++ class object model of the document and
interprets that to display it, I was thinking about translating that
into some form of image inside of dia. This is a bit in the future, but
maybe someone thinks its a good idea.

The rational rose can be done via XMI.

Visio is another story, and the result should be free.

Way other story, and way old.  Though it should be possible with XSLT
now,
for Visio2002 files.  The spec is out there.
Yup.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont