Re: XMI

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:57:03 +0100 (IST)
Alan Horkan <horkana tcd ie> wrote:

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, James Michael DuPont wrote:

Compiling argouml with gcj would be an "interesting" approach.
Just the core parts. There are a few nice Java libraries with few
system dependancies. The Novosoft XMI engine might be interesting to
link in.
You may have noticed i have a thing for code reuse and portability
and
cooperation, if you plan to do this in big way maybe you could get
some of
the Kivio developers to cooperate (random suggestion of the day).

Or the Argo developers. One reason why I like dia over argo is that it
is fast. Argo is a pig (But a sweet one, mmmmh : ham sandwiches come to
mind)

you suggest using GCJ (Gnu Compiler for Java) have you used it on Argo
before and is it still slow even when compiled to a native linux binary
using GCJ?
is that other commercial (?) program based on Argo also slow?
being able to exchange files with Argo would be great.

Since Argo is a gui app, the whole of it can't be compiled with gcj.  I will look at some of the XMI code,
however.  It would be interesting to see how the performance of something like that would be if compiled into
a native library and linked into a C application.
And yes, that other commercial program based on Argo is also a pig.  This is part of the reason I'm so
interested in Dia having XMI support; most of the other OSS UML tools are in Java (my system is too slow) or
use QT (for which I have an irrational dislike).  Additionally, I've been using Dia for quite some time, and
have grown fond of it.

Levi