Re: Status report for Building Debian/Mingw packages for DIA

Cyrille,
It looks like we have to continue this discussion,
so here are my replys.

It is a real shame that we have to have this fight, but
obviously you think I can be beaten into silence.

--- Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille chepelov org> wrote:
(for instance, mailing to gpl-violations fsf org (or whatever the
exact
spelling) without giving a copy to the alleged violators, is totally
rude in
my book.

I told you that I am writing to them, and kept you informed of the
status.  I wrote to them asking for advice, and to find out if they
cared to make a statement on this. I also stated that I dont want to
make a big deal out of this.

After getting into many discussions about the GPL because of the work
that I am doing on the GCC, I have gotten a better understanding of the
issues at hand.

I have reported and dealt with over 4 GPL violations with them up till
now, and it is not practice to inform the violator immediately.

Even Stallman asked me specifically on one occasion to NOT tell the
people that they were under investigation.

I wrote personally to hans and tor about the situation if you are
interested, about that email that I have forwarded to you. Also
remember that YOU personally are not involved here.

Remember, I am trying the FIX the PROBLEM, it seems that not everyone
even sees this as a problem. Stop trying to silence me, and start
trying to help fix the problems.

ESPECIALLY since the alleged violators have repeatedly
stated that
they never withheld anything by malice, but more by oversight, and
repeatedly asked you for help if you had specific things to ask for).

The specific things are very very simple :
PUT *ALL* THE SOURCES NEXT TO THE BINARYS.

I have reviewed my older mails,
I am asking for nothing more than the GPLs requires, and am not making
any false accusations.

The sources, buildscripts, configuration of all the needed modules
to be put in the same place as the binaries. The exact sources that
were used to produce the modules, all of the non-system libs needed.

You think that you can get around the GPL by just saying that nothing
is witheld, read section 3 and ask youself if you live up to it.

The reason why I did not write to you about this, is that I wanted to
ask thier advise first.  At first FSF did not want to get involved.

It is more than just DIA, we are seeing this in the whole

You just finished to kill any remaining goodwill towards you I might
have had. I'm not going to cooperate with you more than legally
required.
You have been helpful before, when I was looking at the layout tool.
You helped by giving me a good introduction into the plugin system and
we have had good interactions.

In particular, I don't give a shit about your Windows port, unless
Hans says you are the legitimate Win32 maintainer *and* the community

agrees.

Fine, but your user community does not want to be held ransom. I dont
need your or hans offical support to compile the code.

Hans said that he is dropping it, he does he care about what the
community says?

AGAIN :
The reason why the GPL states that all the sources should be put next
to the binaries is that the users need not be ransomed by developers
who get emotional.

And I
don't want to blackmail anyone, but if the dia community says you are
the
maintainer, then so be it.

I dont need to be the official maintainer, I will make my ports
available to all, with the source code  and the build scripts, all in
one place.

If when I am done, the dia team wants to host them, it would be great.

I am just going through the burden and the work that is put onto all of
the users who want to compile this stuff, and sharing my results.

Remember, one of the primary motivations behind FS/OS is the Fun
factor. And
struggling with someone of such behaviour as yours is really no fun.

The fun factor is one, and the frustration factor is the other.
Too many of us are frustrated by the situation.

Let me restate things once, for the last time:

      * Keep stuff on topic. Send status reports about libiconv on the
Fine. So you dont care about the status of the modules.

      * Don't aggress people. Once aggressed a couple times, people
tend to have a prejudice against their aggressor.

Yes, and you are starting to piss me off as well.
If I said anything to you then show it to me, but you cannot just
accuse me of things. All I am asking for is that some rules are upheld.

      * Hans said he wouldn't help you more than he did. I just >stated
the same. Don't ask for help here, you're not going to get some.

Well All I ask you to do is to put the sources with the binaries. I
dont need too much more help than that right now.

(but don't post annoying and irrelevant status reports here).

The reason why I am posting the status reports here is that your
windows users are scared that they will be dropped in the hole.

This is very relevant to the project, and I would consider what your
users think about this entire situation.

I bet that some are very happy that this painfull process is being
invoked.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont