Re: UML module hackery

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, David Hickerson wrote:

Lars Clausen wrote:
Before we go in and add more control points, let's consider when it is
really necessary.  One change that's started is to have zig-zag lines be
more intelligent about their orientation.  It hasn't propagated beyond
the standard zigzagline and box yet, and only works at creation (though I
have a way to have it work for later, too).  It makes sure that the arrow
points into the object, instead of being placed on the line of the
object.  The only case where you could get a funny angled arrow is at a
corner connection point.  Try it out and see if you still feel that arrow
handles are necessary.

I played with class shape and the zigzag line a little bit. I still
find it hard is some cases to get he line to match up with the
connection point exactly to make the arrow head point into the class
shape. This is especially the case when zoom in on the class. Also,
this behavior only happens when connecting to the sides of a
shape. Connecting from the top or bottom is fine, the arrow head
always points correctly. This is do to the end control point behavior
of expanding in only the vertical direction and the middle segment
handling the horizontal direction expansion. I don't know hard this
would be, but could the zigzag line be given an attribute to act in
either horzontal manner or a vertical manner at the end control
points, basically the ability to turn it 90 degrees. This I think
would fix side attachments to a shape.

Instead of playing with the class shape, use the plain box shape from the
standard tools.  The class shape hasn't been updated to understand the
arrow positioning.

-Lars