Re: Printing and weird (non-latin0 ;-) ) charsets -- summary

Proposal for the complete solution:
===================================

We need a text file, which describes for each font the Unicode range
it is known to support (roughly), and the output method.
Output method can be:
       PSU (using the dia PS-Unicoder)
       UTF-8 (exporting a crude UTF-8 stream)
       UCS-2 (exporting an UCS-2 stream) (not sure if needed with UTF-8)

The non-PSU method would work with non-CID-keyed fonts only. CID-keyed
fonts would require the use of UTF-8 (or UCS-2, but UTF-8 can express UCS-4)

Example:

Courier: PSU 0000-052F, 1E00-218F
BousungEG-Light-GB-UniGB-UTF8-H: UTF-8 2E80-303F, 3200-9FFF
Ryumin-Light: PSU 3040-30FF
Helvetica PSU: 0000-052F, 1E00-218F
GBZenKai-Medium-UniGB-UTF8-H: UTF-8 2E80-303F, 3200-9FFF
GothicBBB-Medium: PSU 3040-30FF
Symbol: PSU 2190-2E79

How about adding properties such as "Bold", "Italic",
etc.? That will allow to make better choices.

It may be a good idea to also place the hard coded
'font_data' entries into this file (such that users can
modify them without having to change the code) and read them
all into the 'FontData' structure.

I have noticed two other minor problems on my system which have
nothing to do with the PS encoding issue:

1) Most of the hardcoded '-adobe- ...' X11 fonts are not
   available on my system and I have changed them all to
   '-urw- ...' ones. Though I could use font aliases
   instead for this issue, but since the urw fonts are
   recommended, it may be better to use them than relying
   on the '-adobe-...' fonts (or '-*-...'?).

2) There're more fonts than can be listed in the font selection
   list, and there's no scrollbar, so I can not see/select
   fonts at the bottom of the list.

-- LB