Re: 0.92 rc2 fails to follow the gnu coding standards

Le Fri, May 24, 2002, à 08:51:58PM -0700, Hugh Daniel a écrit:

  In the FSF GNU coding standards document (no useful (linkable)
[snip]

"""
   All programs should support two standard options: `--version' and
`--help'.
"""

  Yet the dia-0.90.RC2 I just compiled does not do this basic option:

you have sent this also to me privately, and I replied to you privately
before seeing your message was stuck in the mailman queue. Here is the
essential of my reply:

        dia has been adopted by GNU, but does not follow the GNU Coding
Conventions. --version is not vital to dia, since it has already three
places from which to get the version (splash screen, about box, packaging
system). --version would be nice for after 0.90 (since the whole point of
--version is in being everywhere), I'll gladly accept a patch for that, but
for the moment I accept only crash-fixes or build-fixes.
And please don't stick any "standards" document under my nose with an
aggresive tone if I never claimed I'd follow them in the first place. After
all, why doesn't $YOURPROJECT follow an ISO 9002 compliant process, or is
compliant to NF-S 02-666 ?

        -- Cyrille

(ObSide note: there are no crashes that I know of in RC2; there are some
issues related to 1) building on Solaris 2) libpng .so and .h mismatches 3)
building on an AFS partition (I'm very tempted to kick this out to the
libtool folks. I can, I'm just behind my 22m line), and 4) bashisms in the
generated configure script, which will all need to be resolved by the way of
patch or by the way of explicit documentation before we do release.)

--
Grumpf.