Re: Dia graphics fuzzy when embedded and converted to pdf

On 01 May 2002, Daryl Manning wrote:
This is a strange one...

When I use dia exported png or jpg diagrams and embed them in either
OpenOffice or KWord and then save them out to a ps or pdf the diagrams
appear quite "fuzzy" and there is a reddish haze around black lettering
on the white backgrounds.

It only happens with dia (for instance, other embedded pngs and jpgs
seem ok). I was wondering if it was one of the settings that I have or
something else I haven't thought of.

Anyone got any ideas what this might be?

I've seen a red haze around graphics embedded in XFig and exported to PDF
(though not postscript).

First thing: Dia uses vector drawing.  If at all possible, export in vector
drawing formats (PostScript, CGM, DXF, WPG, SVG, WMF,...).  The difference
is *huge* (if, that is, the new KWord doesn't do like 1.1.1 which converts
EPS into a bitmap!).

Second thing: Definitely don't use JPG.  It is lossy and works best on
photo-style images.  Sharp contrasts become very blurry and ugly, and Dia
diagrams are nothing but sharp contrasts.

Does this happen with files exported from, say, XFig?

-Lars