Re: DiaFont abstraction and namespacing

At 16:12 23.06.02 +0200, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
Le Sun, Jun 23, 2002, à 03:32:23PM +0200, Hans Breuer a écrit:

Which comments ?

"The Pango people don't seem to encounter the real world much..."

Oh ! This is not mine...

Impressive, if it wouldn't pop up about 8 message boxes with:
     Trying to set invalid font arial, helvetica, helv, sans!
     Trying to set invalid font courier new, courier, monospace, fixed!
on UML
classes; which isn't Lars' fault but some strangeness with BASIC_SANS_FONT,
BASIC_MONOSPACE_FONT etc.

Yes, I selected that, because on my system, plain "monospace" and "sans" are
flat out ugly.
Having a ugly font for 'monospace', 'sans', 'serif' is a Pango
configuration problem. There is some pango.aliases file which
needs to be adapted to make these font's look nice. Otherwise
your widget fonts won't look nice too ...

We should fix Lars' selector to keep only the first valid
item of a comma-separated list (Pango does this on its side).

IMO fixing at the wrong place ... With this approach we'll
hardcode families again. Depending on a proper Pango
configuration aems right to me.

Means dia is now hardcoded to only three families ?
Nope. But these constants could be used for some simplifiction like

     dia_font_new_from_style(DIA_FONT_SANS | DIA_FONT_BOLD, 0.42)

which I hope could replace the BASIC_SANS_FONT, ... above. It appears
to me that at least the win32 Pango backend isn't capable of
Oh, I see.

I'll take this as a 'yes please' ;-)

With my approach there would only be one central place in font.c
where the assignment between "BASIC_*" and a real font name needs
to happen. I'm not sure if even there it is required than. Pango
should be able to give me a font from style only - without
naming it. As font info to store one would have the font name
_and_ the style as fallback.

And how do you get the specific families, then ?

Answered below ?

What I like to get though is a - per default - shorter list
of fonts to select from. In the spirit of useability and
the ability to exchange diagrams between platforms with
differnt font sets.
I am thinking of a GtkFifoOptionMenu with a details entry to
select additional fonts from the standard Gtk font selector,
to have the choice of using any font available on the system.

Hmmm. Sounds good, then.

As first shot Lars' Font Selector would simply stay as is.

(there are so many
available families on my system I have to scroll through three
screenfuls of
the font widget -- with 1024 dots of vertical resolution).

Is this the new kind of useability, menus about 3072 pixels long :-) ?

Ahem.

One issue with my approach is where to get the first few fonts
to display. But again this could fall back to 'Sans', 'Serif',
'Monospace' which have to exist with any working Pango installation.

        Hans