Re: How to increase connection point on UML classes?

I am using UML classes to try to make an entity-relation diagram for
the purpose of eventually creating a SQL Database script to create
tables with columns, indexes, and foreign-key constrainst.

You're sure you don't want the ER symbols?  And have you looked at
Dia2SQL on the Dia links page?

Dia2SQL assumes you use the UML symbols.

The ER symbols have 1/10th the desired functionality (a lot less than
UML).

Allow the text on either side of the association to be moved around
(ie: isn't anchored to the endpoint necessarily).

A patch that improves the text handling was accepted recently.  If you
are willing to try the newest CVS, it may perform better.
Having the text moveable may be a good idea -- Constraint and Message
already does so.

I might need a hint or two about using the latest CVS. I couldn't build
from source because it wanted my gdk-???-config executable which doesn't
exist on my system (do I need to install gdk-???-devel packages?).

It seems to want libpng3 which is odd, because the 0.90 that I installed
seems to use libpng2 (/usr/lib/libpng.so) which causes wierd graphic
artifacts in the new dia proggy. What do I need to do about libpng to make
dia-cvs happy?

It's been brought up before, and the general consensus is that any XML
language powerful enough to express all the UML things would be about as
complex as the current C code, but slower.

Ah. Okay.

I guess the reason the XML makes me happier is that it's at least
semi-self-documenting. The C code is unreadable to me, whereas the
uncommented XML is at least comprehendible...

Can anyone give me a hint about how I can increase the number of
connection points on the top/bottom of a Class in the UML set?

You'd need to fix the following places (line numbers from newest CVS):

class.c:188 (change assert)
class.c:452 (umlclass_update_data setting connection pos)
class.c:716 (more connection points allocated)
class.c:749 (bound of for over connections)
class.c:945 (bound of for over connections)
class.c:955 (start of extra connections)
class.c:1239 (umlclass_load doing element_init)
class.c:1251 (... and setting up connections)
class.c:1257 (... starting extra connections)

Probably a good idea to have a define for the number of normal
connections.

Yes, a #DEFINE will be how I go about changing it.

Thanks,
--
Tim Ellis
DBA, Gamet