Re: wysiwig TeX in dia

Oh, I see. You want to turn a core full of the
assumption that it owns the
diagram and all its subcomponents, into a core
paranoid about
externally-triggered changes.
Yes. A listener for update messages on watched
objects.
A model - view - controller, where the model is
distributed. The views controllers are connected via a
data backbone.

This looks like every
possible thing but a
trivial undertaking in my book (about like
transforming a simple diagramming
tool into a CAD package, probably...).
Yes it is not trivial. But DIA is a real good starting
point. We shoul not be afraid to try.

I can see good reasons for implementing what you
describe, but it's
definitely not a "simple Perl::DBD hack job".
It is more complex you are right. Not easy, and we
need a concept first.

IMO, a
much more efficient and
generally useful thing to do would be to extend CVS
so that instead of using
diff/patch/vi on XML files, it would perform the
equivalent xml-aware
operations (ie, diff on a pair of XML trees rather
than diff on a pair of
gzipped files; an XML patch which would be able to
locate a specific node in
a potentially slightly different tree, and would
apply the change; and an
XML "conflict resolver tool" which would take the
"tree-with-conflicts" left
by the XML patch and allow the user to graphically
resolve the thing.
Yes, I aggree. We should also use tools that exist.
See :
http://www.logilab.org/xmldiff/
http://diffxml.sourceforge.net/
http://www.xmldb.org/index.html
XUpdate http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/
"The mission of the XUpdate Working Group is to
provide open and flexible update facilities to modify
data in XML documents. Doing so it is not important
where the documents come from. It can be real
documents or virtual documents retrieved from XML
databases. "

Now for the display, Dia should be able to take an
XPATH expression via a GOTO command and display the
object in question.

That will come done to keeping the XML document
that is normally outputted just as a Text file
instanciated in memory and X-ref-ed to the memory
structures in the DIA.

DIA OBJECT -->points to---> XML Representation in
memory --> points back to --> DIA Object

The XML object can be updated and queried with effects
on the DIA object, and vice versa. Both are just
different views and encodings on the same abstract
data.

What do you think?

mike

=====