Bonobo/IDL and DIA

Hello All,
I am reading into how to create components in GNOME using bonobo and
corba. Please correct me if i am wrong, I am just getting my feet wet
with the whole GNOME thing, and have not read all of the docs yet.

As far as I can tell, DIA has it's own plug-in system that is based on
a GIMP style interface, this is not the standard for GNOME office,
other applications like ABIWord/Gnumeric and Nautilus support this
interface.

There is a bononbo support, but it is not fine grained.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-components-list/2000-March/msg00056.html

The bonobo supports perl and python scripting, and
would make it easier to integrate it into a larger framework.

I think the next step would be to make the IDL for the
DIA that represents the Python API and makes it usable via CORBA,
also to define a plugin API based on bonobo.

Here is a description of the IDL/Bonobo controsl
http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/projecten/bonobo-gwizard/
http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/projecten/bonobo-controls/bonobo-controls.html

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/bonobo.shtml
"These interfaces are specified in CORBA IDL and do not depend on
having either GNOME libraries or the GTK+ toolkit installed. The Bonobo
interfaces could be implemented by various different desktop systems to
provide system tool integration. "

The perl modules used are :
CORBA::ORBit
GNOME::GNORBA
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnumeric-list/1999-December/msg00055.html

Is there anyone working on this? Anyone using the Python Plug-IN?
Anyone looking into Bonobo?

I would like to use this interface to define and implement the Graph
Layout API that we dicussed a couple of weeks ago, but the layout tool
should also be usable by other components. Specifically i want to be
able to script it all via perl if possible...

Anyway, Looking forward to your feedback...
mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/