Re: UTF-8 on stdout?

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 22:37:37 +0100 (BST), "Andrew Ferrier"
<andrew junk new-destiny co uk> wrote:
In fact, the more I think about this, the more I get confused.
I can't seem to find any good introduction/references to all
this stuff on the web. Does anyone know where I can go to learn
more about character sets etc. these days?

[...]
Andrew,

PMJI.  You might want to have a look at http://czyborra.com/ Mr. Czyborra
has a pretty good overview of what's what regarding encoding and
character sets, and does a good job of distinguishing between fonts,
glyphs, and characters.  You may in particular want to look at:

      http://czyborra.com/unicode/terminals.html

Interesting place.  In particular, the -u8 option for xterm does exactly
what Andrew wants.  We should get Akira and Xing Wang to use their utf8
encodings for their names.

-Lars