Re: UTF-8 on stdout?

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Andrew Ferrier wrote:

OK, now I have to admit to being a bit confused <grin>. Surely
what we want is for the accents etc. to be output correctly
both on the screen when using --credits and in the AUTHORS
file? Which will be the same thing in most cases, right? My
question is how to get the UTF-8 encoding to print out the
correct characters from the ASCII character set (see the
current output of --credits to see what I mean). Or am I
missing the point of all of this UTF-8 stuff totally?

I don't see any problems with the ASCII characters in the output.  Only the
non-ASCII chars in Cyrille's and Hubert's names look funny.  There may not
be a single locale that would be able to display them all (except if you
consider UTF-8/Unicode a locale).  When I run the output through PAPS, I do
get the right chars.  Note that ASCII doesn't contain é or è, you're
probably thinking of Latin-1.  That output is just the way it should be,
blame the xterm writers for not udnerstanding UTF-8.

-Lars