Re: Question/Suggestion

I don't actively work on Dia anymore. I CC:d this mail to the mailing
list where Dia development are done. Please continue this discussion
there.

/ Alex

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 20:49, Martin Meadows wrote:
Hi Alex

transition tables.  www.envox.com have a CTI telephony-call-flow system
which saves in XML but it is not extensible.  With the right plugin-type
feature extension, DIA may have the potential to become the defacto CTI
call-flow design system in the telecom industry.

Detail: I work in the CTI development on purpose built solutions for Call
Centres like the directory enquiries platform used by Cable & Wireless.

Most of our solutions deploy some form of automated system for announcing
numbers and offering call connection.

To date we've used VoiceTek (now Aspect), Periphonics (Nortel) and Envox
platforms.  These environments each provide a flowchart like call-scripting
tool for building sequences of operations to handle different call
scenarios.

The first two are fairly aged & clunky XWindow systems and the third (Envox)
is more recent and slick and stores its schemas in XML.

The design tools are used to string together various operations (represented
as shapes) such as answer, hang-up, say-something, record-something, etc.
Each shape usually has one input and multiple outputs. The input represents
a link from the previous operation, and outputs represent different possible
outcomes which can each be linked to different next-operations.  Typical
utcomes include as normal-completion, error-exit, and the various
asynchronous events such as caller-hang-up.

The potential power of diagram'd call handling logic is immense but is
usually implemented in a propriety manner which restricts use to particular
telephony hardware.  For instance, the Envox system saves in XML but doesn't
allow users to add new shapes or develop multithreaded logic.

Having found your tool over the weekend and read much of its praise and
recognition, I believe it could readily provide the extensible functionality
which might gain it defacto adoption across the telecom industry for
building telephony handling logic.

I'd like to suggest that you review Envox's design environment which can be
downloaded FOC from their website, as I feel DIA could significantly improve
on it.

I would be interested in your comments.

Best regards - Martin Meadows