Re: Unit selection input

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Jason Maiorana wrote:

If you feel like code, you shall be more than welcome to pick up the
FreeType code, it's all in CVS.  I've gotten stuck in the rendering
part
and do other stuff right now.

I have messed around with the freetype code before- its big and has
alot of subtle parts- but what I was thinking is that you may not need,
and will probably be better avoiding the integration of freetype.
If you render your fonts directly, then you have to have direct access
to the .ttf's, which is not ideal.

Well, my thought is that it's a lot better than what we have now (fixed set
of fonts, not even always available), and it's possible with current
libraries.  I got the font loading code working to the point where I can
figure out the size of strings (without ugly hacks, AFAIR), but got stuck
on dealing with bitmaps in rendering.

Once the render interface settles, dia could do all the fancy font
rendering with rotation/scaling/offsetting directly with the xserver
or through the GDI, and avoid the mess that open office and abiword
got into (wrt fonts)

Yeah, once that settles.  Unfortunately, we don't know when that is.

-Lars