Re: [Mingw-users] [gimpwin-dev] glib under mingw32 debian cross compiler, problem with windres : gmodule-win32res.lo: file not recognized: File format not recognized

GNOME is intended to provide on Unix some of the (high-level) features
in Windows, that on Windows are implemented with stuff like COM and
OLE (I am really not an expert in this issues, so bear with me if I
babble). It does this using CORBA at the low level.

Why would one then need to port GNOME as such to Windows? It wouldn't
interoperate with native Windows applications anyway, i.e. you could
not include some object that interfaces through COM/OLE/whatever in a
GNOME container that uses CORBA, or vice versa.

Or is it just eye candy you are after ;-)

GNOME is also a desktop operating environment supported by an applications
framework API. I guess the objective would be to have source-level
applications compatibility between the platforms. Not sure I like the idea
though.