Re: WIN32 compilation, UML Sequence Diagrams and Inheritance arrows and the spirit of GNU software.

Dear Hans and Dia Developers.

I am sorry to if I made false accusations, or if you felt that I have
insulted you.
Also I hope that I have not caused the DIA project too many
heart-aches.

Hans you put alot of work into getting DIA compiled under windows 32.
And obviously you have put all the sources somewhere where they can be
gotten.

But I do wonder if you are using the DLLS from Tor or have you compiled
it all from scratch?

You dont want to be bothered by many stupid questions, but in
the end, we cannot be basing development on just DLLS and precompiled
binaries.

The configuration of the system is part of the source code, the scripts
to build it and all that.

This is a trend that you are not the only one who is part of,
many of the ports to windows are not easy to reproduce, many do not
tell exactly what version of the source code is useds, and where to
find that sources code.

I truly do wonder if anyone (on this list or otherwise) has ever
compiled (DIA for win32) from scratch.

I am busy compiling this under mingw, and need to get all the sources.
Just using DLLS is not going to cut it.

The questions about the GPL that I raised are still valid, and
I still think that the need distribution of the complete source code is
a requirement for distributing the executables.

In my opinion, The free software movement is based on giving that
source code, not the executables. If you cannot build the program from
scratch, and provide the source code, then you cannot distribute the
executables.

As far as I know,
The GNU and GNOME libraries used are not part of the system and have to
be redistributed as well as part of the source code,
as well as the scripts to build them.

I don't think you can just say, "download this prebuilt lib and inc
from this server, we dont care how it is built".

I don't think that is the way that the GPL works,
if you get the source code, you have to make it available to others.

I might be wrong, and I am willing to change my opinion.
Again, I am sorry if I have insulted you and caused problems.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/