Re: UML plugin...

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Tim Ellis wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:22:22 +0100 (BST)
Alan Horkan <horkana tcd ie> wrote:

is there a way to make dia more inclusive, to make it obvious that these
programs are essentially part of dia too?

<snip>...

and as a result focus new
people to use what is available and avoid the NIH Syndrome (not invented
here).   Do distributions ship Dia with these valuable add-ons? if not
why not?

My experience tells me usually because it's more work, and most
maintainers aren't paid a fulltime salary to do this anyway. Depends on
the maintainer. Usually if you're too hard-nosed about adding lots of
extra work, the maintainer says one of two things: "Fork it if you care
so much" or "Oh, I'd be happy if you took over the maintainer position
for me!"

Is there a package available with Dia and all the bells and whistles
(xslt, autodia, tediasql, etc) in a fairly easy to install static build?

The simplest (technical) solution seems to me to be: include such extras
as optional dependencies to Dia (does RPM/.deb have such functionality?)

I know dpkg has 'recommended' packages, but you don't really notice them if
you just apt-get install.  I believe RPM has somethine similar.

so that Manrake/Redhat/Debian (etc...) distros could install these other
tools, then adding functionality to Dia to allow it to recognise the
installed-status of these other tools and have hooks to them(in the case
of tedia2sql, a save/exec combo) and thus use them if installed.

The nice thing about the Dia plugin system is that you don't actually have
to tell Dia about the plugins, you can just put them in the right
directory, and they're picked up automagically.  Thus, that part of
installation is easy.

-Lars