Re: Is there some shape repository for dia ?

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
Le Tue, Aug 06, 2002, à 01:52:47PM -0500, Lars Clausen a écrit:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
I suggest the proper place for such a repository is the dia module of
cvs.gnome.org, subdirectory "shapes". Together with our grand plan for
more than one yearly release..

We already have a megabyte worth of shapes, and more coming in.  The
extra size of the distribution and in particular the start-up time will
eventually become problematic.

This is true, but is best (IMO) handled at the packaging stage (ie, split
packages by shape themes, a no brainer to do in your debian/rules script
or equivalent), and/or by a speed-up at init time.  (like, lazy load of
the .shape files -- just check that they stat(2) properly, register an
ObjectType which actually loads the shape and self-modifies the first
time so that it doesn't do any subsequent loads. Stat(2) is not free, but
it's still an order of magnitude or two cheaper than running the whole
libxml parser).

That sounds like a good compromise.  But there's just something sexy about
easy downloading of shape packages:)

-Lars