Re: Zoom in on UML Packages

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 11:05, Robert Campbell wrote:
Someone was working on this feature for school or work.  Is that person still following this list?  And if
so, can he or she give an update?  If I was interested in this feature, I would search the archive, track
that person down, and offer my help and encouragement to finish it.

You may be referring to the work I was doing on 'linking' diagram nodes,
so that you could 'open' a subdiagram. The code was really ugly, and
wasn't generic to any type of object, due both to my own lack of time
and skill, and some architectural issues inside the Dia core.

If I were to dust it off again, I'd probably just start from scratch,
and (hopefully) have a much cleaner implementation using StdProps
support for filename properties. Unfortunately, there's no reasonable
way I have found, given the design of plugin object types in Dia, to add
support for these 'links' to any objects except those where the author
rewrites the plugin to use it.

I'll start digging back into the code, though, along with the current
CVS version of Dia, to see what my options are these days. I could also
give code snippets to anyone who was interested in seeing how my
(admittedly weak) implementation worked.

Lennon Day-Reynolds
Software Engineer
Kestrel Institute

Rob Campbell