Re: format conversion between DIA and graphviz (dot)?

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001, Steven Pothier wrote:

The graphviz package, "dot" program does graph layout from a graph
description given in a simple text format.
It outputs a couple formats (not XML though).  Has anyone written
anything to transform the formats used by DIA and graphviz?

There is an obvious benefit to being able generated a graph in DIA
format from a (layout free) textual format.

If I find nothing here, I'll likely write a perl script to fullfill
something like:

dot -Tplain mygraph.dot | dotplain2dia.pl > mygraph.dia

Ah, yes, dot.  A wonderful little graph tool.  No, there is no
transformation from dot files to dia files, nor does Dia read dot
output.  I'd love to see either.

P.S.
graphviz is described at: http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz

P.S.S. I fantasize that I have a tools that completely integrates DIA
and graphviz so that I can do automatic layout, transformations,
filtering AND easy manual editing with the same tool.

That would be sweet indeed.  Take a look at plug-ins/xfig/xfig-import.c if
you want to do it as an import filter.  Otherwise, look at any of the
.dia-generating tools listed in the Links section of the Dia page.

-Lars