dcgettext__, iconv()/langinfo(CODESET), and gettext >> 0.10.35 [and bug #54628]

Hi all,

  this is a short notice, regarding the "dcgettext__ symbol can't be found"
problems encountered by some people (Sebastian Fischmeister, Sergei Astanin
in particular). While struggling with this and another problem Sergei told
me about (non-latin1 handling on some systems), it seems we have a problem
with gettext (again).

On my system, which is a more or less up-to-date debian "sid"/"woody"
mixture, compiling causes no problems (besides my current lack of time).
I've got gettext 0.10.38, dpkg says.

We had at one point upgraded the gettext we had in intl/ to 0.10.36, from
0.10.35 ; this brings us some new features (normally), but seems to cause
problems to people with older versions installed (this shouldn't happen, but
it seems it does. Perhaps it's the reason why 0.10.36 was quickly
replaced...).

One thing gettext > 0.10.35 brings is a few M4 macros, which are useful to
query for ICONV and LANGINFO (which some of the new --enable-unicode code
requires, already (at least for non-latin1 support)). These macros are
called by gettext.m4, if in a recent enough version (more than 0.10.35).
I've added explicit calls to the above mentioned macros in configure.in

Can people with gettext-0.10.35 installed try to load the macros from
http://traminer.dyndns.org/~cyrille/aclocal and put these in their
/usr/share/aclocal before calling ./autogen.sh (these are the macros as
found on my system, installed by gettext-0.10.38. They are short, so you
shouldn't have trouble auditing them for nastiness), and see whether dia CVS
compiles without --disable-nls for people who had trouble previously (also,
--with-included-gettext could be a workaround for people with 0.10.35)

Also, I'm inclined to think that the above are clues to clear up and finally
solve #54628. Valek, Alexey, can you try this too ?

James, I'm very tempted to gettextize to 0.10.38; I'd also like to make
that version a strongly recommended prerequisite. Green or Red light ? :-)

        -- Cyrille

--
Grumpf.