Re: [RFC] moving translations off sheets ?

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

According to Cyrille Chepelov <chepelov calixo net>:

[***] Yes, I know that UTF-8 is actually just a payload encoding standard for
multi-byte characters of relatively arbitrary length, and that the meaning
of which sequence of bytes means what character is left to the underlying
encoding. I'll assume for the moment that UTF-8 is just a better way to
store Unicode stuff.

Cyrille,

What about using UCS-2 instead for internal purpose ?

To my knowledge, the only major user of UCS-2 is Windows.  There are
already code points allocated above the 16 bit limit, so it isn't
`universal'.  UTF-16 doesn't seem to offer much of a benefit over UTF-8
either.  Both are variable length encodings, but UTF-8 strings can be
treated like normal C strings in most cases, and UTF-8 strings can
represent the whole character space.

That and the fact that GTK+ 2.0 and libxml2 both use UTF-8 seem like good
enough reasons to go with UTF-8 over UCS-2.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/