Re: Rotate Objects

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

Le jeu, aoû 09, 2001, à 09:05:17 -0400, John Palmieri a écrit:

Is this going to be an object domain solution or Dia domain?  As it is,
UrShape will support arbitrary transforms (rotation and translations) of
all visual object except the Gtk stuff(unless GTK supports this).  Will
dia ask the object to rotate itself or will it do the transforms through
its own rendering interface?  I want to know so that we don't end up
with the UrShape code rotating itself and then Dia also doing the same.

The primary thing holding rotation is rendering texts ; Lars' freetype
code will eventually remove this limitation.

I have gotten so far as to find & load fonts, figure out widths, but not
quite render anything.  It's time we think seriously about how rotation
should be done.  We might even do a kludgy GTK-font based rotation quickly
(that just rotates the rendered pixmap), to get the rotation code in.

Afterwards, I see two ways: either we teach each object (and/or object
family) how to do this, or we monkey PostScript and teach transformations
to renderers (perhaps not generalised transformation matrices, but simply
stackable transformations, at least translations and rotations). In the
latter case, we'll have to let objects know about rotations anyway.

I don't know if we want to have translations, even, just rotations.  If we
want to do rotations around different points (corner, center, etc), that
can be done with a normal move and a rotation.

Either way, what counts is that the resulting code is well factored, and
does not result in sprinking trigonometry in the whole tree... but the
one who codes that will have the privilege to choose how to do this and
where to draw lines, most certainly.

We shall certainly need a stack of rotations.  Maybe we can give the stack
to ddisplay_untransform_coords and the low-level renderers?

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg