Re: Introducing GNOME in Brazil

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 14:45, Sylvia Sánchez <lailahfsf gmail com> wrote:

> El vie, 25-06-2010 a las 09:47 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso escribió:
>
> 2010/6/25 Germán Póo-Caamaño:
> > On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 09:53 -0300, Sylvia Sánchez wrote:
> >>
> >> Is very interesting what you tell us.  I live in Montevideo, Uruguay,
> >> and I see some changes toward free software but they are very slowly.
> >
> > Perhaps it is a matter of perceptions and expectations.
> >
> > I had the chance to spend some days in Colonia, Uruguay on February,
> > 2008.  While my wife and me were walking in a square, I saw three kids
> > going from school to their homes carrying XO machines.
> >
> > For them, it was quite natural.  For me, it was a huge and unexpected
> > surprise.  Later I read more about the use of XO + Sugar in Uruguay
> > which it seems it is quite wide.
>
> Indeed things seem to be changing regarding FOSS in Uruguay. Things
> are going very well there for Sugar and GNOME, but it has been hard to
> explain the benefits of FOSS and we are not really there yet. People
> in positions of power still think that having a big company such as MS
> to invest in the country is a bigger win that being able to use and
> produce FOSS themselves.
>
> In spite of that, the new generations are growing using Sugar and
> GNOME and I think this brings interesting opportunities for explaining
> what is FOSS' real potential:
>
> http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=press&article=20100614&language=english#20100614
>
> Sylvia, how is the FOSS community in Uruguay using these opportunities
> to explain better what GNOME and FOSS is and how can help the country
> move forward?
>
> Sugar is also making progresses in Paraguay, Argentina and Chile, and
> OLPC is now deploying all machines with both Sugar and GNOME, so
> similar opportunities are appearing now in those countries and would
> be good to not miss them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Germán Póo-Caamaño
> > http://www.gnome.org/~gpoo/

> All of that is true but, in example, the XO that educational organisms will distribute in high schools will have double boot: Windows and GNU/Linux.

Are you sure of this? My latest information was that it would ship
with a single GNU/Linux image which could log into either Sugar or
GNOME, without having to reboot.

>From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10309116.stm :

"Although it will have the ability to run two operating systems -
including Microsoft Windows - the project has chosen to use Linux. "

Would be great if you could find an online source that confirmed or denied this.

> They say "FOSS is very good and we support they ideas and so, but the system today is privative and the most used applications are privative and we have to teach for reality and not for ideals or dreams".  This is a very well known song in this country.
> I'm not saying there is no change. NO.  I'm saying changes are very slow, and sometimes caotic.  But there changes and is a certain FOSS comunity, and that's important too.

>From my POV, the value of FOSS will only be shown when countries
improve the software to fit their needs in ways that cannot be done
with proprietary software.

That's why I'm asking if the FOSS communities in Uruguay are taking
the chance to show how FOSS enables better learning for their
children.

I know Ceibal JAM are working on this, but there sure must be many
other communities in Uruguay that can join their efforts.

http://drupal.ceibaljam.org/

> PD:  My sooner message, does it arrives to the list?  Thanks

You can check in this link:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/developing-world-list/2010-June/thread.html

Regards,

Tomeu