Re: Introducing GNOME in Brazil

El vie, 25-06-2010 a las 09:47 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso escribió:
2010/6/25 Germán Póo-Caamaño:
> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 09:53 -0300, Sylvia Sánchez wrote:
>>
>> Is very interesting what you tell us.  I live in Montevideo, Uruguay,
>> and I see some changes toward free software but they are very slowly.
>
> Perhaps it is a matter of perceptions and expectations.
>
> I had the chance to spend some days in Colonia, Uruguay on February,
> 2008.  While my wife and me were walking in a square, I saw three kids
> going from school to their homes carrying XO machines.
>
> For them, it was quite natural.  For me, it was a huge and unexpected
> surprise.  Later I read more about the use of XO + Sugar in Uruguay
> which it seems it is quite wide.

Indeed things seem to be changing regarding FOSS in Uruguay. Things
are going very well there for Sugar and GNOME, but it has been hard to
explain the benefits of FOSS and we are not really there yet. People
in positions of power still think that having a big company such as MS
to invest in the country is a bigger win that being able to use and
produce FOSS themselves.

In spite of that, the new generations are growing using Sugar and
GNOME and I think this brings interesting opportunities for explaining
what is FOSS' real potential:

http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=press&article=20100614&language=english#20100614

Sylvia, how is the FOSS community in Uruguay using these opportunities
to explain better what GNOME and FOSS is and how can help the country
move forward?

Sugar is also making progresses in Paraguay, Argentina and Chile, and
OLPC is now deploying all machines with both Sugar and GNOME, so
similar opportunities are appearing now in those countries and would
be good to not miss them.

Regards,

Tomeu

> Regards,
>
> --
> Germán Póo-Caamaño
> http://www.gnome.org/~gpoo/

All of that is true but, in example, the XO that educational organisms will distribute in high schools will have double boot: Windows and GNU/Linux.  They say "FOSS is very good and we support they ideas and so, but the system today is privative and the most used applications are privative and we have to teach for reality and not for ideals or dreams".  This is a very well known song in this country.
I'm not saying there is no change. NO.  I'm saying changes are very slow, and sometimes caotic.  But there changes and is a certain FOSS comunity, and that's important too.

Regards
Sylvia

PD:  My sooner message, does it arrives to the list?  Thanks