Important: Switch of GNOME tarball compression format
- From: Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl>
- To: devel-announce-list gnome org, distributor-list gnome org, gnome-announce-list gnome org
- Subject: Important: Switch of GNOME tarball compression format
- Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:13:08 +0200
Tarballs on ftp.gnome.org will switch compression formats. Change occurs
in ~1 month and in ~7 months.
This only for *new* tarballs. All existing tarballs on ftp.gnome.org
will NOT be affected nor removed.
Currently tarballs are released using the formats:
The intend is to switch to tar.xz only as per below transition period.
After the last GNOME 3.0.x stable release (May 25th 2011) new releases
After the last GNOME 3.2.x stable release (expect Nov 16th 2011) new
releases will have:
To keep in mind:
1. This change only concerns *newly* released tarballs after above
2. If a file is is currently available as .tar.gz, it will still be
available after above mentioned dates.
3. Existing files will not be recompressed. E.g. I do *not* intend to
make gtk+-1.1.12.tar.gz available as .tar.xz.
- the intention is to switch to .tar.xz
so don't go from .tar.gz to .tar.bz; make sure to move to .tar.xz
- default options are used for xz compression; requires about 9 MiB of
memory to decompress (bz2 uses 3700KB)
- for your information only; you do not need to do anything
- ftpadmin script will automatically handle conversion of compression
- you can upload .tar.gz files after May 25th; ftpadmin will do the
- we might do a GNOME goal to ensure 'make dist' creates a .tar.xz file
that's optional though
This has been suggested to the release-team and did not get any
objections. Still, if you have concerns, I'd like to hear about it. I've
set the reply-to to desktop-devel-list and distributor-list.
] [Thread Prev