Re: Changing version scheme for the evolution projects

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 10:43 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16 2022 at 04:16:33 PM +0200, Jan Alexander Steffens via
desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
Arch changes prerelease versions as well, but we have to remove the
period (40.rc -> 40rc) so that it orders before 40 or 40.0.
A tilde is handled the same as a period and would not help us.

Oh, sigh. I suppose if different distros have different ordering rules,
then there is no way to please everyone.

$ git tag 44~alpha
fatal: '44~alpha' is not a valid tag name.

This may be related to some distro's challenges with tildes.

Debian's packaging scripts just converts the ~ to _ when tagging.

_ doesn't sort lower than a . so this still wouldn't fix the issue for
anything using git tag sort order to look up the newest version.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bicha