Changing version scheme for the evolution projects

        Hello,
I'm thinking of changing version scheme for the evolution-data-server,
evolution, evolution-ews and evolution-mapi. It still uses the "old"
GNOME version scheme, meaning odd minor version (aka 3.45.x) being a
development series, even minor version (aka 3.46.x) being a stable
series. The current GNOME version scheme doesn't do that, as you know.
I'm afraid it can be confusing for some parties, when these evolution
projects are under the GNOME umbrella.

I do not like the alpha/beta/rc thing, it has several bad
consequences [1], version number should be a number, not a letter. My
personal opinion. Anyway, what I'd like to use is similar to the gcc
version scheme. That is, x.y.0 will be a development part of the x.y
series. The first stable version will be x.y.1 (see the '1' being the
first? GNOME's first development release also used to be x.y.1). For
the next series it would be:

    3.47.0.90 ... GNOME's .alpha
    3.47.0.91 ... GNOME's .beta
    3.47.0.92 ... GNOME's .rc
              ... here's a gap for urgent development releases up to .99
    3.47.1    ... GNOME's .0, aka the first stable release

Unless there's any strong objection, I'd like to do it this way since
the 3.47.x, aka GNOME 44. I should think of this earlier, but I'm slow
in thinking, which is a shame.

You might ask why not to drop the leading '3' for the Evolution and
sync with GNOME's 44 at the same time. The reason is technical. The
evolution projects tightly depend on each other, evolution x.y.z
requires evolution-data-server x.y.z; evolution-ews a.b.c requires
evolution a.b.c and evolution-data-server a.b.c. Yes, these things can
be written in the configure scripts, but I do mistakes all the time,
thus having this version dependency done automatically, with no human
interaction, is a valuable bit I would like not to lose.

Opinions?

        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/-/merge_requests/1378#note_1464311