Re: [heads-up] evolution-data-server is libsoup3 now

ons 2022-06-22 klockan 13:13 +0200 skrev Milan Crha via desktop-devel-
list:
        Hello,
just a quick heads-up, the evolution-data-server development version
is
libsoup3 now; it will be the 3.45.1 release. The port depends on
libsoup3 change [1], which improves libsoup3 use in multi-threaded
applications.

Most people are probably aware, all apps using the evolution-data-
server directly or indirectly need to use libsoup3 as well, the same
their dependencies, because libsoup2 and libsoup3 cannot be loaded
into
the same process at the same time (doing so aborts the application
with
an appropriate message).

One thing, the libgdata has a pending merge request for the port to
the
libsoup3, but it needs more testing and such.
Use -DENABLE_GOOGLE=OFF CMake option until it's sorted out. The
option
disables the Google tasks support only. I may extract necessary bits
out of the libgdata to not depend on libgdata at all, but no promises
whether I'll make it on time for the 3.45.1. See [2] for some
insights.

Of course, Evolution itself and evolution-ews will be ported to the
libsoup3 at the same time.

Hi!

Maps still depends on libsoup 2 (we get this dependency via
libchamplain, and it is unlikly to get ported…)

Problem is we haven't yet declared libshumate as "1.0" stable, and
there's probably a couple of things to iron out before porting Maps
itself to it (and GTK 4), and this is a pretty big undertaking, and I'm
a bit concerned about being able to pull it off this late in the cycle.

One option I think is to drop the contact address lookup in Maps (we
use e-d-s via libfolks to match searches on contacts who have
addresses).

Not sure if this is used that much, and it's probably less use now
since 42 when Contacts has a button to launch Maps with a search query
based on the address for contacts who have an address set.

//Marcus

        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libsoup/-/merge_requests/283