Let's improve our communication: Discourse

Hi,

We have been trialing Discourse as a potential replacement for GNOME mailing lists in order to modernize our communications infrastructure and make contributing to GNOME more attractive to newcomers. If this goes well, then we should be able to shut down most of our antiquated mailing lists (with possible exceptions for announce-list and distributor-list(?)) possibly quite soon [1].

I understand that some lists have already migrated. However, until now, it has not been clear what to do with desktop-devel-list gnome org. We need this list for sending announcements that all (or at least most) developers will be guaranteed to see. But there is too much activity on Discourse to expect everybody to watch all activity there. Rather than attempt to drink from the firehose, I'd like to encourage developers to at least subscribe to the announcement tag [2][3]. You can do this by clicking on the notification bell in the upper-right corner of the screen, then selecting "Watching" or "Watching First Post." This will probably suffice to replace our use of desktop-devel-list for important announcements... I think. To test how well this works, I've posted two important announcements on Discourse now, under that tag.

The announcement tag might not be sufficient. We might, for example, want another category, e.g. a Maintainers category. Please give Discourse a try, provide feedback, and we'll see how things go. Some tips:

* You can use your GNOME LDAP account to log into Discourse, or create a separate account just for Discourse. * [4] discusses interacting with Discourse using email. Configuring email notifications is very important. Be careful with mailing list mode; do not expect it to match the mailman behavior. Also note that some of the preferences have changed a bit since that guide was posted.
* Use [5] to suggest improvements to our Discourse instance.
* GNOME distributors, consider subscribing to the distributor tag [6] for notifications (equivalent to distributor-list)

Michael

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives/-/issues/18
[2] https://discourse.gnome.org/tag/announcement
[3] https://discourse.gnome.org/t/tags-and-watching/94