Re: one desktop, two people, two keyboards and mice

Thanks for the discussion and guidance. It seems my next step is to get setup and see how things work in practice.

best regards,
Richard

On Monday, 23 March 2020, 09:29:52 GMT-5, Jonas Ådahl <jadahl gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:03:27AM -0400, Adam Jackson via desktop-devel-list wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 07:25 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 07:08:51PM +0000, Richard Henwood via desktop-devel-list wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > > I have a large monitor, and I would like to use my computer with my child.
> > > My vision is for me and my child to have our own keyboards and mice. I
> > > imagine working away on 'my side' of the screen, while they are working on
> > > their side. Occasionally, I will 'reach across' and help them with what
> > > they are working on.
> >
> > As Niels already pointed out, multiseat is the word to look for here.
> > However, the most common documentation on multiseat you will find is for
> > separate sessions on the same host computer. The goal is to save on
> > hardware, not collaboration.
> >
> > If you google for MPX or Multi-Pointer X, that provides what you need and
> > it's been supported in X since 2008 or so. Should be immediately available
> > via:
>
> Is there anything like MPX supported in gnome-shell's wayland session?

We have started to add basic seat separation into the clutter fork (e.g.
ClutterSeat), but clutter has traditionally been single seat with a
single "device manager" which owns all input devices. To summarize,
we're still not there yet, but are moving in that direction.

Jonas