Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 4:35 pm, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
Here is my suggestion: fellow Matrix proponents, let's turn off the IRC bridge ASAP. All we've accomplished by running the IRC bridge is convincing GNOME devs that Matrix is awful. I'm pretty sure that all of this negative feedback is about the IRC bridge.

OK, my main complaint is already resolved: I've tested and verified that proper errors are returned when I try to message an IRC user who is offline.

My suggestion to shut down the bridge was based on an incorrect assumption that it was unmaintained and not a priority to fix. We're currently working with Matthew to resolve several additional quality issues with the bridge, including an issue where Matrix users are disconnected from IRC rooms but don't notice because they continue to receive updates in Matrix, and a bridging problem that's specific to the #gnome room. Hopefully we can solve these and keep the bridge running, so that Matrix and IRC users can continue to participate in one unified community without feeling pressured to switch from one to the other. (Of course, even nicer if you join the Matrix side of things, so you can talk directly to our federated friends at Mozilla/KDE/Igalia/Purism as well as to IRC users, but with a bridge that's working properly, that would of course remain optional. :)

Michael