Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:27:21 +0000, Neil McGovern <neil gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, 2020-02-12 at 20:21 +0100, Alexandre Franke wrote:
My concern would be the "federal" nature of matrix where people
don't need a
gnome.org specific chat account to join a room. Whilst there are a
lot of
arguments for this I'm increasingly convinced it's an anti-feature
especially
if we want to enforce CoC (which, of course, we do)

That was a concern for Mozilla too. I don’t know the details, but
they have a solution for that it seems. See e.g. the Community safety
section in the [annoucement](
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/synchronous-messaging-at-mozilla-the-decision/50620
).

The solution they're using is federation turned off.

Mozilla has turned on federation on their Matrix instance just this week.

Cheers,
—Adrián