Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:07 PM Zander Brown <zbrown gnome org> wrote:
I've used the matrix bridge for years now (I'm generally only on irc "for real"
to fix things after the bridge does crazy things like de-op me or change my
nick without warning...)

Matrix isn't perfect. matrix.org, the main "homeserver", regularly has high
latency further exacerbated by the bridge. Hopefully hosting our own would
avoid that

Yes, it would help a lot both ways:
* we wouldn’t be hurt by performance issues on the matrix.org HS (apart from federation issue for people “from there”)
* we would reduce the load on the matrix.org HS

My concern would be the "federal" nature of matrix where people don't need a
gnome.org specific chat account to join a room. Whilst there are a lot of
arguments for this I'm increasingly convinced it's an anti-feature especially
if we want to enforce CoC (which, of course, we do)

That was a concern for Mozilla too. I don’t know the details, but they have a solution for that it seems. See e.g. the Community safety section in the [annoucement](https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/synchronous-messaging-at-mozilla-the-decision/50620).

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker