Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, 2020-02-12 at 16:35 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 2:09 pm, Britt Yazel <bwyazel gnome org> wrote:
I have had horrible experiences with Matrix/Riot.im. I'm not sure
which of those is due to the IRC bridge or which is due to Matrix
itself, or which is due to the clients, but I really shouldn't 'have'
to know the chat system at that level. My experience has been awful.

Here is my suggestion: fellow Matrix proponents, let's turn off the IRC
bridge ASAP. All we've accomplished by running the IRC bridge is
convincing GNOME devs that Matrix is awful. I'm pretty sure that all of
this negative feedback is about the IRC bridge.

Yeah, I also think most of the Matrix issues that people see are either
related to IRC bridging or that the public servers we rely on were
overloaded.

So, said differently, I would expect that anyone using a walled garden
Rocket.Chat instance (i.e. chat.gnome.org) without all that baggage
will have a great user experience in comparison. But, unfortunately,
that tells us nothing about which chat system is superior.

One could do this comparison properly. But it would need setting up a
private Matrix server for GNOME (possibly without Federation) and then
checking how well it holds up when compared to Rocket.Chat.

I have no idea which option is superior. And that can be a hard
question as it might even differ depending on whether your focus is on
e.g. short term experience vs. long term technical viability. That
said, I would love to see arguments here (for oragainst each chat
system) that I can compare in a useful manner.

Benjamin

PS: I had a nice chat with the Rocket.Chat person at FOSDEM who was
keen on getting IRC bridging up and running on their side. He said that
when I mentioned that Red Hat had experimented with it. If someone is
serious about this, I can pass on the contact.

(We also need to fix the fractal bug that causes it to create private
rooms set to allow participants to view only messages sent after they
have joined the room. I guess fractal is sending the wrong permissions
enum value when creating rooms, or something similar to that.)