Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 10:39 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
wrote:
We have a rule though: the account types exposed in
gnome-online-accounts must be used by at least one core
application.
It's a good rule because it doesn't make sense to have settings
in
control-center for apps that aren't installed by default.

From a UX perspective I think this makes sense. It's a bit strange if
we have an out of the box experience where the switches in the online
accounts settings don't do anything.

This approach isn't new, and you can read more detail here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeOnlineAccounts/Goals

So unless we
reverse course and add gnome-documents back to core, the
documents
account configuration settings should move from control-center to
gnome-documents itself.

So you're asking that an application with known resource problems
re-implements functionality that was offloaded to a GNOME component
in the first place. This work, by the way, may or may not be
dropped in case we change our minds, and find a use case for
Documents to be in the core apps in the future.

At this point it would be much more honest to come forward and say:
"GNOME Documents is no more. If you want to work on it, fork it and
call it whatever".

I don't think it's fair to make accusations of dishonesty. Michael
and
Debarshi have been open about what's happening and the consequences,
and I think that's to be commended.

My impression is that Documents isn't getting used very much, and we
don't seem to have a compelling story for it. It therefore seems
reasonable to stop integrating it into the core experience, unless
you
have a better idea?

Removing GNOME Documents from the release is fine. The problem is that
as it is removed from the release, it's an excuse for GNOME Online
Accounts to remove the "Documents" category.

You thought GNOME Documents wasn't useful? Wait until it can't access
your online documents anymore!