Re: Documents and core apps

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 17:04 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-
list wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 16:59, <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:

Release and design teams also don't want redundant apps in core,
and
there is interest in somewhat reducing the number of apps in core.
We
had been planning for several years to remove eog (obsoleted by
gnome-photos and to remove evince with gnome-documents. Now it
looks
like gnome-photos and evince will be the winners instead. (eog is
very nice app, but once gnome-photos gains the ability to handle
images, it becomes kinda redundant, right? I only hesitate due to
nomenclature: not all images are photos. Maybe gnome-photos needs
rename.)

Removing Evince would have been slightly complicated even if
Documents were developed more heavily than it is because Evince is
used for the print preview in every GTK application, and nobody ever
considered writing the equivalent functionality for Documents in the
first place.

Nobody added the ability for gnome-documents to open files...

I'll probably split off Books at some point in the future.