GitLab news & updates

Hi everyone,

Just an FYI on latest GitLab news.
  • Multiple Issue Boards is now part of the community edition (despite the documentation saying otherwise). If you ever wanted to try a more Agil^W efficient way to handle project planning, now is a good moment to give a chance to the GitLab Issue Boards.
  • We got an Azure license from our colleagues at OpenAtMicrosoft! We will use it for our CI on Windows. If you are interested, reach me out at GUADEC and we can discuss its set up and usage. I'll send more information about how to use it once everything is ready.
  • Multiple diff discussions is now possible for single lines of code.
  • Merge requests for confidential issues are now possible. I know in the past we haven't been happy with how we can handle security issues, is there anything else remaining here? If so, please let me know off-list.
  • Take a look at the upcoming CI/CD features. There are a few things of great value for us, such as multi-project pipelines which will allow us to do things like Flatpak nightly builds from different projects or CI testing of full GNOME snapshots. Another interesting upcoming feature is hybrid directed acyclic graph (DAG) pipelines, which basically means CI stages can by bypassed and interconnected in more complex ways.
  • We can now pass environment variables from upstream to downstream CI pipeline, which are those activated by triggers. This will allow more complex cross-project CI builds that I believe some projects have been waiting for.
  • Git object deduplication is now implemented as the first step towards fast forking, which is coming soon. Hopefully this will fix most of the pain when forking.
Also, Sri will have a talk at GUADEC about GitLab, don't hesitate to attend to learn more about how GitLab's future could look like for us.

Have a good weekend, and for those attending GUADEC, see you soon.

Carlos