Re: This video is dedicated to all of you

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 6:01 PM Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 06:32:44PM +0100, Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-list wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 18:30, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:

On Wed, 2018-10-17 at 19:24 +0200, Alberto Salvia Novella via desktop-
devel-list wrote:
https://youtu.be/XXXX

How is this person still allowed to post on d-d-l?

Yes, can we please enable some moderation? Not only this stuff is obnoxious
trolling, but people are replying to it. I dontyreally want this stuff in
my inbox.

Mailing lists suck IMO, especially mailman2 where you need to remember a
password and in case you forgot you'll need to ask a sysadmin to make a
new password for every moderator. Mailman3 would fix this, but super
slow development pace last time I checked. Ideally it would be a more
free for all.

As a moderator, I for one would really enjoy having less mail to deal
wiht and having to constantly check what the password is.  So speeding
up moving to mailman 3 would be awesome.

I've set the moderation bit on Mr. Novella but do think asking for
moderation is overlooking that if you follow various other GNOME
discussion methods you'll find a way lower signal to noise ratio
(many useless comments per hour).

Thank you.

Regarding the rest of the thread.  I think it's important  to note
that the meme has already been established since GNOME 2.  Any of us
could write a completely lucid post about any topic and entities like
OMG!Ubuntu will turn it into a discussion that creates clickbait
because they know that any subject that says "GNOME removes X" will
almost certainly create hysteria and drama.  For Tobias's post (which
I reviewed before he posted) is a good example of how anybody posting
on Planet especially a designer speaks for the entire project.  I had
two posts removed on /r/linux that tried to troll the crowd.  Luckily
moderators on /r/linux see the problem and are very quick to react
when I complain.

The solution is either to specifically to add a disclaimer "I don't
speak for GNOME, this is my opinion" or to make the post and control
the messaging directly using social media to make sure that the
conversation stays away from controversy.  But I fear it might be a
losing battle journalists and bloggers know that people love to hate
on GNOME simply because we are the default desktop on a number of
large popular distros and perceived as the head of the pack.  They
take advantage of this by engineering freakouts.  You can bet that
with this, the popular podcasts will want to discuss this in this.  I
can see the progression already.  :-)

When we sprout out about themes and what not, users hear that we are
going to do it for all of Linux because we are perceived to be the
dominant platform.  I don't want to tell people want they should or
not post.  But if you have posts that could be construed as
controversial please let the engagement team know.  I think one thing
we will need to do as part of defensive engagement is to make sure
that we put those disclaimer out there to protect ourselves.  It'll
still come out as "GNOME Designer wants to remove themes, draws funny
shapes to distract us".  But we need to slog through it.

Cheers,
sri