Re: Desktop miniconf @ Linux Plumbers Conference

On 05/09/2018 02:59 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
So If there is sufficient interest, I will volunteer my time to run the
miniconf this year.  Those of you who have items worth discussing can
think of talks we can present to a diversified audience.

Some avenues of discussion/talks that come to mind, that vary in terms
of how much kernel-space they involve.

 - Audio
   - Real-time/low-latency (pipewire/jack/gstreamer/etc)
   - Sandboxing audio APIs (pipewire/pulse)
 - Video
   - Difficulties and challenges in ensuring hardware decoding
   - Ensuring frame-synchronization for applications (wayland
     presentation protocol, etc).
 - Firewalling/restricted network to sandboxed applications
 - Securing devices from malicious peripherals (USB, t-bolt, etc)
 - How to take advantage of new file-system features in applications
   (xfs/btrfs reflink)
 - Graphics
   - Profiling graphics performance in compositors and toolkits
     (GL/Vulkan/drm/etc)
   - Virtualized GPU for sandboxes/VMs?
 - Scheduler performance related to desktop workloads
 - Debugging battery/acpi/suspend/etc
 - IPC/messaging (kdbus/bus1/varlink/dbus/binder)
 - A11y/Input Methods in early boot (full-disk encryption on a tablet?)
 - Sandboxed device access (device-tree, capabilities-based access)

-- Christian