Re: Wayland screen capture

On Thu, 2018-05-03 at 23:16 +0200, Antonio Ospite wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2018 22:00:06 +0100
David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:

[...]

It would be really useful if there was a library somewhere, with
a simple function to call for "prompt the user and then give me
a GStreamer src element", which worked on all platforms.

That's essentially what I've provided in the Pidgin code. Except
someone more competent would ideally have written it.

Is there somewhere that functionality should live?

Maybe an autoscreencapsrc GStreamer element which can select the
screen capture element/mechanism automatically (ximagesrc,
gdiscreencapsrc, a possible portalsrc), along the lines of autovideosrc.

It needs a UI element to interact with the user (especially in the
X11/GDI/OSX cases). I don't know if that really lives in the element
itself.

The Pidgin model is to interact with the user and *choose* the source
element (and its parameters), then go off and establish the connection
in the protocol code and instantiate the src element once the pipeline
is ready to receive it. Which means that if you say "share screen..."
and then hit cancel when choosing what to share, nothing happens on the
wire. That two-stage setup seems to make sense... which is another
reason I'm a little dubious about doing it all automatically in the src
element.